- Animal-Centred Attraction (27)
- Entertainment Venue, Theatres & Restaurants (170)
- Breweries & Vineyards (8)
- Gardens of the Heart (80)
- Historic Houses, Churches & Castles (149)
- Museum/Heritage/Visitor Centre (128)
- Country Parks, Nature Reserves, Trails & Canals (51)
- Shopping & Factory Outlets (40)
- Science, Industrial & Eco Attractions (13)
- Sightseeing & Transport (37)
- Activities inc. Golf, Racecourses & Leisure (114)
- Theme Parks (30)
- Workplace (9)
Ratings Made Easy
Tel : +44 01299 822907
The vineyards at Astley were established in the 1970's by viticultural pioneers Michael and Betty Bache. It is, therefore, relatively old by English standards and has stood the test of time.
The vineyards, close to the River Severn, benefit from the micro-climate created by the river valley site.
The unique terroir is based on deep, free-draining soils derived from the Triassic Red Sandstone parent material underlying the vineyard. This imparts its own influence upon the wines derived from it.
All Astley wines are from its single vineyard site with no additional purchase of grapes or wine from elsewhere within England. This ensures a consistency in the production environment and an adherence to the traditional approach of the winemaker that a wine should reflect a specific geographical location.
Vineyard management regime is directed towards low yielding crops that accentuate the vineyards site and varietals characteristics.
Grape production methods are based on an Integrated Pest Management approach (la lutte integre in France) that limits inputs and, wherever possible, substitutes natural controls for synthetic ones.
All wines are made by 2009 Winemaker of the Year, Martin Fowke.
Over 85% of all Astley wines ever produced have won an award. (97% since 1996) including consistent success at international level, e.g. Gold medal at the 'Concours des Vignerons Independents' in Angers, France. Also Astley Vineyards is the current holder of 5 Trophies from wine competitions in 2009.
Quality status: All Astley wines are ""English Vineyards Quality Wine psr"", the highest level of the English quality wine scheme.
Wines recommended by Rick Stein and included in his current BBC Directory.
Astley Vineyards facilities include:
- In countryside
- Outdoor event/attraction
- Smoking permitted in some areas
- Picnic site
- On site parking
- Pets accepted (other than service dogs)
Astley Vineyards accessibility includes:
- Ramp/level access
- Toilets for disabled visitors
- Service dogs permitted (eg guide dogs)
Contact - Astley Vineyards
Nearby and Related Items
Carpet Museum Trust - Weaving Shed
Information display about history of the carpet industry and plans for the Museum of Carpet due to open in Kidderminster 2010. Demonstrations of hand loom weaving and occasionally of spinning and peg-boarding.