- Animal-Centred Attraction (38)
- Entertainment Venue, Theatres & Restaurants (165)
- Breweries & Vineyards (11)
- Gardens of the Heart (90)
- Historic Houses, Churches & Castles (161)
- Museum/Heritage/Visitor Centre (168)
- Country Parks, Nature Reserves, Trails & Canals (66)
- Shopping & Factory Outlets (51)
- Science, Industrial & Eco Attractions (11)
- Sightseeing & Transport (43)
- Activities inc. Golf, Racecourses & Leisure (81)
- Theme Parks (34)
- Workplace (11)
Ratings Made Easy
Royal Shakespeare Theatre
Tel : 0844 800 1110
£10.00 - £58.00
£10.00 - £58.00
Stratford-upon-Avon is home to the Royal Shakespeare Company, one of the world's best-known theatre ensembles, which performs works by Shakespeare, other renaissance dramatists and contemporary writers all year round. The Company also play regularly in London, Newcastle upon Tyne and on tour across the UK and the world.
The RSC's theatres in Stratford have just undergone a four year transformation with the aim to make it the best peformance space for Shakespeare in the world. The building has been stripped back, keeping the original 1930s architecture and adding a new link between the Royal Shakespeare and Swan Theatre. At the heart of the building is a new 1,000 seat thrust stage auditorium, where the audience sits on three sides of the action.
The theatres now offer more than just shows, you can now take a trip up the viewing tower to enjoy views of Shakespeare's home town, explore the history of the building on a theatre tour or take in the fabulous views and food in the Rooftop Restaurant.
2011 sees the Company celebrate its 50th birthday, alongside the productions there is a wide range of events to celebrate the RSC's place in British theatre over the last 50 years.
To find out more and see what's on visit www.rsc.org.uk
Stratford-upon-Avon is a short drive from Junction 15 of the M40, giving good access to the M42, M5, M6 and M25. Our postcode is CV37 6BB. There is a large choice of fee-charging car parks in Stratford-upon-Avon.
By Public Transport
You can travel directly to Stratford-upon-Avon train station from Birmingham (Snow Hill or Moor Street stations) and London Marylebone (via Warwick, Warwick Parkway, Leamington Spa, Banbury and Bicester North). Taxis are available at Warwick and Leamington Spa stations. For details of local bus services from Birmingham to Stratford-upon-Avon please ring 0870 608 2608. For local bus services from Oxford please ring 08705 808 080.
Royal Shakespeare Theatre facilities include:
- In town/city centre
- Indoor event/attraction
- Smoking not permitted
- Guided tours available for groups
- Guided tours available for individuals
- Suitable for families
- Suitable for young children
- Group discounts available (min group size)
- Groups accepted
- Special group rates
Royal Shakespeare Theatre accessibility includes:
- Audible alarm system
- Clear signage throughout attraction, eg colour contrast, large letters, pictograms
- Contrast markings on glass doors and full-height windows
- Designated parking within about 50 metres of main entrance
- Disability awareness training for all personnel
- Drop-off point for guests immediately outside main entrance
- Effective lighting throughout attraction for visually impaired visitors
- Flat route with no steps from parking area to entrance
- Good colour/tonal contrast throughout attraction, eg doors contrast with floor/walls
- Handrail by ramp
- Handrail by steps
- Hearing loop system available in appropriate areas, eg ticket counter
- Information available in audio format
- Information available in large print
- Level access, ramp or lift to a public toilet
- Level access, ramp or lift to a public toilet suitable for wheelchair users
- Level access, ramp or lift to gift shop
- Level access, ramp or lift to information point
- Level access, ramp or lift to restaurant
- Level access, ramp or lift to ticket issuing point
Contact - Royal Shakespeare Theatre
Nearby and Related Items
The Bear Pit Theatre
Rother Street is home to the The Bear Pit Theatre @ the United Reformed Church. It is Stratford-upon-Avon’s first ‘little theatre’ with an accessible one hundred seat auditorium and bar facilities; producing and hosting productions and events throughout the year. The Bear Pit is a voluntary organisation founded in 2008 with the purpose of bringing together the Visual and Performing Arts groups based in the town. The Bear Pit firmly believes that with all the groups working together, we can encourage the arts to flourish in this beautiful Warwickshire town.
Shakespeare Birthplace Trust
Discover Shakespeare’s Family Homes Explore Shakespeare’s five family homes, farm and gardens and discover how much he influences our everyday lives four centuries on. Be inspired by theatrical performances, take part in family activities, events and festivals and step back in time with our resident Tudors. Explore, enjoy and be surprised by Shakespeare and his fascinating life story, whatever your age.
Holy Trinity Church
Holy Trinity Church is one of England's most beautiful and most visited parish churches. It is the place where William Shakespeare was baptized, worshipped and buried.Many other treasures lay within this holy place worshipped for 800 years