- Animal-Centred Attraction (27)
- Entertainment Venue, Theatres & Restaurants (170)
- Breweries & Vineyards (8)
- Gardens of the Heart (80)
- Historic Houses, Churches & Castles (149)
- Museum/Heritage/Visitor Centre (128)
- Country Parks, Nature Reserves, Trails & Canals (51)
- Shopping & Factory Outlets (40)
- Science, Industrial & Eco Attractions (13)
- Sightseeing & Transport (37)
- Activities inc. Golf, Racecourses & Leisure (114)
- Theme Parks (30)
- Workplace (9)
Ratings Made Easy
Tel : 01827 709 629
£1.00 - £4.00
£19.00 - £19.00
£5.50 - £5.50
£6.50 - £6.50
As you explore the Castle you can see for yourself the maze of intact rooms, halls and chambers that still echo with events from Saxon beginnings, Norman dynasties, Tudor grandeur and great family influences.
Come and enjoy the all-year-round events and activities that keep families of all ages entertained and enthralled both inside the Castle and outside in the wonderful landscaped grounds alongside the River Tame.
Get Your Hands on Some Living History
No shuffling around a quiet museum or staring at an empty ruin here!
Tamworth Castle really does bring history to life with fun re-enactments and superbly staged scenes from the past with regular Living History Days.
Did they really live like this?
Why not ask them yourself as families and servants cook, entertain or eat in period-style right in front of you?
Active history doesn’t stop there with a range of events happening during half-term and school holidays including children’s drop-in workshops – great fun & messy, they’ll love it!
In 2011 Tamworth Castle hosted the sell-out exhibition of the key pieces of Saxon Gold when it returned home to the ancient capital of Mercia. Look out for more exhibitions coming this year and discover more about the Mercian Trail.
From M1/M6 northbound take the M42 and exit at Junction 10. From the M6 southbound exit at Junction 12 and approach Tamworth via A5.
By Public Transport
Tamworth station is well served by train from London and the north-west with London Midland. Book online at http://www.londonmidland.com/ and you'll pay no booking fees or postage. The station is just a 10 minute walk from the castle
Tamworth Castle facilities include:
- Dogs restrictions
- First aid facilities
- In town/city centre
- Of historic, literary or architectural interest
- Outdoor event/attraction
- Smoking not permitted
- Guided tours available for groups
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Suitable for families
- Suitable for young children
- MasterCard accepted
- Visa accepted
- Picnic site
- Car park over 5 minutes’ walk
- Groups accepted
- Special group rates
Tamworth Castle accessibility includes:
- Audible alarm system
- Disability awareness training for all personnel
- Drop-off point for guests immediately outside main entrance
- Handrail by steps
- Level access, ramp or lift to cafeteria
- Level access, ramp or lift to gift shop
Contact - Tamworth Castle
Nearby and Related Items
THE OLYMPIC TORCH IS COMING TO TAMWORTH - 30 JUNE 2012 Tamworth has a unique place in the historical landscape of the UK as the Ancient Capital of the Kingdom of Mercia. Today it offers visitors the opportunity to discover this rich past, as well as enjoy the attractions of a thriving and busy town set in the beautiful county of Staffordshire.
Drayton Manor Theme Park
Drayton Manor Theme Park is the ideal venue for families looking for thrills, spills and excitement in 2012. Home to a variety of thrill rides, Europe's only Thomas Land™ attraction, a 4D cinema and a zoo there's something for everyone! New this year is the Ben 10: Ultimate Mission coaster, which is guaranteed to entertain. The 150-bedroom Drayton Manor Park Hotel is also open.