Ratings Made Easy
Erasmus Darwin House
Tel : +44 01543 306260
Fax : 01543 306261
Nestled in Lichfield’s idyllic Cathedral Close, Darwin House is an independent, accredited Museum that was once the family home of doctor, inventor and published poet Erasmus Darwin (1731 – 1802). With its unique place in Georgian history Darwin House showcases the breadth of Erasmus Darwin’s interests and achievements which laid the foundations for his grandson and evolutionary biologist Charles.
Ponder in the room where leading Midland industrialists and thinkers were thought to have gathered and shared ground-breaking ideas. Discover the herbs in our tranquil garden used to season Mrs Darwin’s cooking. Learn about the medicinal qualities of plants with which Erasmus treated his patients (often free of charge!). Look through his personal journal to get a sense of his original mind and uncover what inspired his many theories and inventions including a flushing toilet and a speaking machine to name a few.
Explore Darwin’s work through interactive exhibits, replica costumes and historical objects. Come as many times as you like, there’s always more to know about the Amazing Dr Darwin.Georgian home of Erasmus Darwin, Grandfather of Charles Darwin and leading doctor, scientist, botanist, inventor and poet of the 18th Century. Located in the idyllic surroundings of Cathedral Close, a short walk from Lichfield cathedral.
Hosts Events, Corporate Hire and Weddings.
Now Free Entry.
30th October – 31st March 2017
Thursday – Monday, 11am – 4pm
1st April – 29th October 2017
Every day, 11am – 5pm
The Herb Garden is open all year round
The top two rooms of the House are closed on Friday 7th July and Friday 8th September.
Erasmus Darwin House facilities include:
- Dogs restrictions
- In town/city centre
- Indoor event/attraction
- Of historic, literary or architectural interest
- Guided tours available for groups
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Suitable for families
- Suitable for young children
- Group discounts available (min group size)
- Off site parking
- Groups accepted
- Open outside normal opening times by appointment
Erasmus Darwin House accessibility includes:
- Audible alarm system
- Clear signage throughout attraction, eg colour contrast, large letters, pictograms
- Disability awareness training for all personnel
- Effective lighting throughout attraction for visually impaired visitors
- Good colour/tonal contrast throughout attraction, eg doors contrast with floor/walls
- Handrail by steps
- Information available in audio format
- Level access, ramp or lift to a public toilet
- Level access, ramp or lift to a public toilet suitable for wheelchair users
- Level access, ramp or lift to gift shop
- Level access, ramp or lift to ticket issuing point
Contact - Erasmus Darwin House
Nearby and Related Items
National Forest Adventure Farm
The National Forest Adventure Farm near Burton upon Trent offers exciting indoor play, outdoor play and farm animals. Open daily from 10am till 6pm, except for Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day, the Farm hosts many events during the year, including, during the summer months, one of the largest themed Maize Mazes in Europe.