Special Offer 10% Discount in Coventry Transport Museum gift shop voucher for 10% Discount in Coventry Transport Museum gift shop ›
Coventry Transport Museum
If you’re looking for a fantastic FREE day out for all the family, you can’t beat Coventry Transport Museum. In the heart of Coventry city centre, this huge Museum is home to the world’s largest collection of British road transport, and a visit whisks you away into a world of stories of real people, real passions and real hope.
You’ll discover the stories behind the people who made Coventry the centre of the world’s motor and cycle industries, and get up close and personal with the actual vehicles that defined some of history’s most important moments. The Museum is laid out as a journey through time – you’ll wander 19th Century streets and discover the first bicycles, carriages and cars, then explore the first car factories and gasp as you witness their wartime destruction in the Blitz Experience. The journey continues through the Boomtown, Spirit of Speed and Ghost Town galleries to bring you right up to the present day.
A visit to the Museum brings you face to face with Royal cars, military vehicles, and cars that played vital parts in their drivers’ life stories – none more so than the current Land Speed Record holding vehicle, ThrustSSC, which lives at the Museum. Not only can you marvel at this spectacular piece of British engineering, you can experience for yourself what it’s like to travel through the sound barrier at over 760mph in the ThrustSSC Simulator.
The Museum boasts an ever-changing programme of special events and activities, and being situated in Coventry City Centre, is easily accessed by car, bus or train. Parking is available in a public car park directly behind the Museum, and there’s a lovely coffee shop within the Museum itself, serving sandwiches, fabulous cakes and a range of hot and cold drinks.
Coventry is close to the M1/M6/M40/M42. Follow signs to city centre and take junction 1 or 2. As a city centre attraction there is no parking available at the Museum itself however, city centre pay and display car parks are all within walking distance. The nearest car parks to the Museum are Bishop Street (CV1 1NN), West Orchards Shopping Mall, Fairfax Street and the Belgrade Plaza (CV1 4AJ). Click here for further details about car parks around the Museum.
By Public Transport
There are excellent links to London Euston via Virgin Trains; Cross Country routes north and south and local services to Nuneaton and Northampton. The Museum is a 15-minute walk from the station. Buses numbered 17, 27 and 49 stop near the Museum. Click here for a detailed location map of Coventry city centre including the railway station.
Coventry Transport Museum facilities include:
- Dogs restrictions
- First aid facilities
- In town/city centre
- Indoor event/attraction
- Smoking not permitted
- Guided tours available for groups
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Suitable for families
- Suitable for young children
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Visa accepted
- Off site parking
- Blue Badge Guides admitted free
- Groups accepted
Coventry Transport Museum accessibility includes:
- Clear signage throughout attraction, eg colour contrast, large letters, pictograms
- Contrast markings on glass doors and full-height windows
- Designated parking within about 50 metres of main entrance
- Drop-off point for guests immediately outside main entrance
- Effective lighting throughout attraction for visually impaired visitors
- Films or information touch screens have visual/audible subtitles
- Flat route with no steps from parking area to entrance
- Good colour/tonal contrast throughout attraction, eg doors contrast with floor/walls
- Handrail by ramp
- Handrail by steps
- Information available in large print
- Level access, ramp or lift to a public toilet
- Level access, ramp or lift to a public toilet suitable for wheelchair users
- Level access, ramp or lift to cafeteria
- Level access, ramp or lift to gift shop
- Level access, ramp or lift to information point
- Level access, ramp or lift to restaurant
- Level access, ramp or lift to ticket issuing point
Contact - Coventry Transport Museum
Nearby and Related Items
Coventry Transport Museum is one of the UK’s best transport attractions with the world’s largest display of British road transport in a space totalling 13,000 sq metres – the size of three football pitches!! The collection is of national importance in the UK and has over 240 cars and commercial vehicles, 94 motorcycles, 200 cycles, 25,000 models.